It’s day 5 of my sugar free challenge, and it’s going well. To be completely honest, it hasn’t been too hard so far. Mind you, I have been at work and studying, which means that I have had time to pre-prepare everything, but nonetheless, I have resisted the urge to have a piece of fruit after lunch, or add dates or other natural sweeteners to my food. I’m also finding that my savoury tooth is starting to return. We’ll see how I go the next time I go out for breakfast and have to avoid smoothie bowls.
Whilst most of my main meals are usually savoury (apart from getting the aforementioned smoothie bowls, which had been happening with alarming frequency), it has always been those in-between meals snacks that have had me reaching for a sugary hit. So I’ve had to think of something else.
Here are a few creative and healthy savoury snack suggestions.
- Celery sticks and peanut butter
- Microwave sweet potato/ parsnip chips (thinly slice your potato or parsnip and cook in the microwave on high for around 4 minutes, depending on your microwave, until crispy)
- Wholegrain rice cake/ rye biscuit with avocado/ hummus/ tomato, basil and pepper/ cheese
- Natural yoghurt with nuts/ seeds/ cinnamon
- Air popped popcorn with salt and spices (or nutritional yeast) – my favourites to add include cinnamon, paprika and cardamon.
- Mini microwave papadums
- Miso soup
- Nuts/ seeds
- Cut up veggies/ bean sprouts
Don’t get me wrong, giving up sugar is definitely still a challenge. But, surprisingly, I think it’s going to be a lot of creative fun.
p.s. I would love some recommendations on your favourite sugar free snacks! Please leave a comment below and share some of your own creations with me!