Easter is probably one of my favourite times of the year. It’s a time for reflection and a time to be with family and friends whilst eating unlimited amounts of chocolate and hot cross buns without being judged for it. The idea of self-control goes out the window. Thankfully, Easter is also a time for forgiveness.
My sister reminded me the other day that she has given up processed chocolate for the year. As a self-confessed chocaholic, this is kind of a big deal for her. Given that she is one of the most headstrong people that I know, I am not surprised in the least that she had stuck to it.
However, with Easter fast approaching, I wanted her to feel a part of the easter fun, without her releasing the floodgates to any regrettable incidents that would inedibly lead to a chocolate-induced coma. She’s an all or nothing kind of girl.
I’m all about technicalities in my life. I had an assignment due this week that had to be “about 3,000 words”. 4,500 words is about that, right? So, using this logic, I decided that if I use cacao, it’s technically not chocolate, so I’m fine. After a little bit of research, I was inspired to make healthy chocolate (sorry, cacao) truffles. Or, more accurately vegan, refined sugar free, high protein, gluten free balls of chocolatey amazingness. The best bit is, I can free them and pass them off as Easter eggs.
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbls cacao powder
- 1 cup pitted dates
- (optional: salt, vanilla essence, peppermint essence, cinnamon etc.)
- chia seeds, extra cacao or coconut for rolling
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Roll the mixture into 1tbls sized balls and coat in chia seeds or cacao.
- Place in the fridge or freezer for 1/2 hour.
- You can adapt the recipe however you want. Think about adding a roasted hazelnut to the middle or adding in peppermint essence to make choc mint balls. The possibilities are endless.
Cacao induced coma, here I come.
These look so delicious! The perfect healthy chocolate treat!
Thank you so much! They are so easy to make. I love having healthy treats in the house, and these are perfect for when I want to make something at the last minute!
Yum! I love how simple these are and they look scrumptious!