Which has meant that I may have gone a little banana-baking crazy over the last week. As if uni wasn’t making me feel a little unhinged already, adding a seemingly endless source of bananas to spark a baking experiment frenzy has definitely tipped me over the edge.
Banana cake, banana muffins, vegan banana muffins, banana bread, walnut banana loaf, chia seed banana bread, frozen banana peanut butter pie, yoghurt banana cake, banana biscuits, banana smoothies, choc-banana smoothie bowls… the list goes on.
Admittedly, there have been not-so-good experiments and some equally amazing ones. I have probably made a few extra friends too – the more banana bread you give away, the more you realise that the fastest way to anyone’s heart is fresh, homemade baking.
My pick of the week was my honey and banana oat muffins. These incredibly healthy little treats have been a winner with both my health-conscious and not so health conscious friends – which is always a good sign you are on to a winner.
- 2 bananas (ripe)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oats (plus extra to sprinkle on tops)
- 1 and 1/2 cups wholemeal self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a blender, blend the bananas, coconut oil, honey, almond milk and eggs until smooth.
- In a bowl, add the wholemeal flour, cinnamon and oats.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Grease 12 muffin tins with coconut oil.
- Spoon mixture evenly into the muffin tins, leaving 1/2 cm at the top of each to allow the muffins to rise.
- Sprinkle extra oats onto each of the muffins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when you poke them.
- Feel free to add nuts (like walnuts) or chia seeds for something a little extra special.
It has taken me almost a week to get through the entire box (about 15kg) – but I have managed it. Just in time to get a new box!!
Thank you so much to the amazing people at Charlie’s Fruit Market, who have been giving out free boxes of bananas (and other goodies – like my new fabulous Kale shirt) to celebrate opening their flagship Gold Coast store.
What are your favourite banana recipes? I would love some inspiration in the comments below!