The bathroom floor is constantly wet. Makeup keeps disappearing and appearing in my makeup bag. I am not sure that I am going to be able to keep my new top for much longer before it permanently goes missing from my wardrobe and I’m not getting away with any nonsense at the moment. My bank account is a little emptier. And my life is a whole lot fuller.
My sister is home. And I couldn’t be happier.
Having a sister as your best friend is the most unique relationship. It is also the most honest relationship you will ever have. There is no hiding, no pretending, and no judging (well, a little judging – but only out of love and wanting the best for each other). You know each other better than anyone else in the world. You just get each other. You get the inside jokes. The obscure “Friends” references. You understand all of those little family quirks.
Here are five of the many reasons why my sister is my best friend.
1. We share the same values. I can trust her. Regardless of the differences in your path, we walk together every step of the way.
2. I can say anything to each other. I might not always like what she has to say. In fact, I don’t always like what she has to say. She will point out my faults. I will probably never have worse fights with anybody. But I know at the end of the day that I won’t lose her and that she only wants the best for me. And I would be crazy not to listen.
3. I always look for her approval (even when I don’t need it – I still look for it). And she often convinces me to do the craziest things. And backs me up 100%.
4. No one will fight for me the way that she will. She will put herself in the firing line to help me. If I am hurt by someone, she will take it upon herself and feel personally offended. Watch out anybody who crosses me when my sister is there.
5. She knows everything. The good. The bad. And she loves me anyway. Completely. Unconditionally.
My sister and I are so different in so many ways. She is far sassier, honest, and vibrant. I am more empathetic, open, and adventurous. But we balance each other. She keeps me grounded and inspires me each day.
Regardless of the distance between us, and the time that we spend apart, I am so grateful to be able to call this incredible woman my best friend.